Learning Outcome: Graduates will develop knowledge of a broad cross-section of constitutional, statutory, regulatory, and common law.
- Graduates will demonstrate competence in the courses that are required of all students.
- Graduates will demonstrate competence in one or more specialized areas of United States or international law.
- Graduates will demonstrate an understanding of the theories, historical development, and application of United States law.
- Graduates will demonstrate knowledge of the basic structure and procedures of government, including the role of legislatures, executives, courts, and administrative agencies, in making, interpreting, and enforcing law.
Learning Outcome: Graduates will competently comprehend, interpret, and analyze constitutions, statutes, regulations, and judicial decisions.
- Graduates will identify the key facts, issues, reasoning, holdings, assumptions, and policies that underlie judicial decisions and independently critique them.
- Graduates will apply principles of statutory interpretation to construe statutes and regulations.
- Graduates will determine the applicable legal rules from multiple sources of the law and seek to reconcile any competing principles.
- When analyzing legal problems, graduates will identify relevant issues, apply relevant law, anticipate contrary arguments, evaluate potential outcomes, and formulate coherent strategies.
Learning Outcome: Graduates will speak and write effectively about the law in a manner appropriate to the audience.
- Graduates will listen actively, be respectful in their professional interactions, and collaborate when appropriate.
- Graduates will explain legal issues understandably orally and in writing.
- When advocating, graduates will communicate persuasively.
- Graduates will write legal and other types of documents that are accurate and well-organized, follow accepted rules of grammar and citation, and use appropriate tone.
Learning Outcome: Graduates will research law and investigate facts proficiently.
- Graduates will efficiently find governing law and relevant secondary sources.
- Graduates will identify relevant facts, ascertain methods for discovering those facts, and evaluate the facts obtained.
Learning Outcome: Graduates will approach legal problems practically.
- Graduates will propose solutions to problems that take into account applicable law, client interests, changed circumstances, alternative options, and practical constraints.
- Graduates will manage their time to meet deadlines.
Learning Outcome: Graduates will appreciate the important roles lawyers play in society, and recognize the impact of law on people and institutions.
- Graduates will identify and resolve ethical issues consistent with the profession’s ethical standards.
- Graduates will demonstrate commitment to the profession by helping to meet the legal needs of their communities and by promoting the fair administration of justice.
- Graduates will recognize differing perspectives in resolving legal issues.