The College of Law’s fourth annual Supreme Court Preview program examined pending cases on the docket for the 2020-2021 term with featured speaker Adam Liptak, Supreme Court Correspondent, The New York Times.
Liptak’s talk was followed by a panel discussion with Reeves Anderson, Supreme Court Litigator, Arnold & Porter; Upnit K. Bhatti L’15, Managing Associate, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe; the Hon. Mae D’Agostino L’80, US District Court for the Northern District of New York; Professor Paula Johnson; and the Hon. Rosemary S. Pooler, US Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
Moderated by Vice Dean Keith Bybee, among other cases, the panel addressed cases involving:
- First Amendment implications surrounding faith-based adoption agencies and same-sex couples.
- The potential liabilities imposed on domestic corporations under the Alien Tort Statute.
- Eighth Amendment sentencing authority over juvenile offenders.
- Constitutional challenges to the Affordable Care Act’s individual mandate.
- The “expropriation exception” of the Foreign Sovereign Immunities Act, which abrogates foreign immunity when “rights in property taken in violation of international law” are in issue.
- The interpretation of “seizure” by use of physical force within the meaning of the Fourth Amendment, among others.
Watch the video.