As you work through this list, email SJD@law.syr.edu with any questions.
STEP 1: Confirm Your S.J.D. Acceptance
- Active your NetID: Activate your Syracuse University Net ID. You will use your NetID to access your MySlice and other school accounts. (Save these websites as favorites!)
- Know Your Dates: Visit the Calendars & Schedules page to view the Academic Calendar and learn important dates during your S.J.D. program.
STEP 2: Submit Proof of Financial Support Documents for Your I-20 or DS-2019
- Proof of Financial Support (foreign applicants only): In order for Syracuse University to prepare visa documents for you and any dependents, we must receive your Proof of Financial Support/Financial Guarantee documentation. These documents (i.e. bank statements, proof of funds, sponsorship letters) must show proof of sufficient funds to cover the cost of attendance for at least one academic year's expenses.
- This amount may be reduced by any scholarship you have received from the College of Law. For candidates seeking to bring dependents (spouse or children), please be prepared to show proof of an additional $9,500 per dependent.
STEP 3: Prepare for Syracuse University College of Law
- SU E-mail: You may activate your SU E-mail after we have issued your student visa documentation. Activate your SU e-mail address at SUmail.
- Orientation: Our S.J.D. Orientation is mandatory. Make travel arrangements to arrive in Syracuse, New York, before Orientation. Information about S.J.D. Orientation will be provided in the months and weeks leading up to the start of the Fall semester. Visit the Center for International Services' webpage on "Living in Syracuse" to learn more about finances & banking, telephone services, driving & transportation, and more.
- Academic Rules for S.J.D. Students: Review and download the College of Law's Academic Handbook.
- Housing Information: The College of Law provides a variety of resources that can assist in securing housing in Syracuse. Please refer to Syracuse University Off-Campus Housing Finder. We recommend the Westcott Street neighborhood.
- Travel & Hotel Information: Plan your travel to Syracuse. Daily flights are available from New York City’s airports (JFK or LGA), Washington, D.C., Philadelphia, Chicago, Atlanta, Charlotte, Detroit, and other cities to Syracuse’s airport (SYR). Train travel from New York City leaves from New York’s Penn Station (NYP) to Syracuse’s Regional Transportation Center (SYR). Check train schedules and book tickets on Amtrak.com. Buses leave from New York City’s Port Authority Terminal or Boston’s South Station Bus Terminal and arrive to Syracuse’s Regional Transportation Center. Check bus schedules and book tickets on Greyhound.com or Megabus.com. Local hotels near Syracuse University include the Syracuse University Sheraton, Hotel Skyler, Genessee Grande, Parkview Hotel, Crowne Plaza Syracuse, and the Marriott Residence Inn (Downtown).
- Transportation & Parking: Students living near campus usually walk or bike to the College of Law. There is a convenient regional bus system, CENTRO, or students may use a local Zipcar. Syracuse has UBER and LYFT. Students who plan to use a personal vehicle on campus must purchase a parking permit from Syracuse University Parking and Transit Services. S.J.D. students should purchase a permit for Standart Street, West Lot, Henry Street Lot, or Raynor Street Lot. Please note that space is limited.
- SU Health & Immunization Form: Use your NETID and password to access the SU Patient Portal. This portal will allow you to submit your immunization records/forms, schedule an appointment, and see other information from the SU student health center. **Please know that ALL students must submit records showing proof that you received immunizations for measles, mumps, rubella (MMR) and the meningococcal virus. We encourage you to obtain these immunizations in your home country. If you already have these immunizations then we encourage you to submit your records via the SU Patient Portal online before you arrive to Syracuse. Students who need immunizations may obtain them at the SU Health Center shortly after you arrive to campus. Students who do not submit immunization records will have a hold on his/her student account preventing you from enrolling in classes until you comply with this policy. All immunization records must be submitted in English or must be accompanied by a certified translation in English.
- Student Health Insurance Requirement: Syracuse University requires all full-time students (domestic and international) to carry some form of comprehensive health insurance coverage. This mandatory fee may be waived if a student has adequate health insurance coverage. If you would like to receive a waiver of this requirement or if you have questions about the Syracuse University Health Insurance Policy and Plan, please visit the Student Health Insurance Program website.
- Tuition Payment Information: Tuition will be due either before the start of the semester or within the first few weeks of the semester. Tuition notices will be e-mailed to your University-issued @syr.edu email account. You may view "Student Account" information by using your NetID and password to log into MySlice and clicking the "View Student Account" link under the "Finances" heading in the "Student Services" box.
- Monthly Tuition Payment Plan: Syracuse University has a Monthly Payment Plan that may be available to you. You may contact the Bursar's Office at email@example.com with specific questions concerning your student account (include your 9-digit SUID number). Please know that a failure to pay tuition may place a financial hold on your account that could prevent you from registering for courses.
- Disability Accommodations: Students interested in accessing disability-related accommodations should register with the Office of Disability Services.
- Laptop: All students must have a laptop for use while enrolled as a student at the College of Law.
- Send Us a Digital Photo: Prior to your arrival for S.J.D. Orientation, the College of Law requires a digital photo of you for use in your permanent file and for a College of Law photo directory. The directory will be distributed to College of Law faculty and the entire incoming class. By submitting the digital photo, you agree to have it included in the photo directory and distributed to faculty. Please send your photo in digital format to SJD@law.syr.edu. Photos must be in .jpeg format and no more than 2 MB.
STEP 4: Arrival in Syracuse
- Original Transcripts: All students are required to submit original transcripts (in English) upon arrival to Syracuse University College of Law. Failure to provide an original transcript may result in the inability to register for courses or removal from the program.
- International Student Check-In: All incoming international students holding a F1 or J1 visa (including conditionally-admitted students from ELI) must visit the Center for International Services to complete the check-in process upon arrival Syracuse. Bring your passport, I-20 or DS-2019 student visa document, and SUID card (if you have one) with you. The Center for International Services is located at 310 Walnut Place, Syracuse, New York. Please know that a failure to complete the check-in process may place a hold on your account that could prevent you from registering for courses.
- SUID Card: All Syracuse University students will be issued a SUID Card. Keep your SUID card on you at all times. This card will allow you access to Dineen Hall and other University facilities. Visit the Office of ID Card Services in Room 206 of Steele Hall to have your SUID card issued to you. Bring your passport with you.
- Dineen Hall & Map of the University: Your new Syracuse "home," Dineen Hall is located at 950 Irving Avenue, Syracuse, New York, 13244. Dineen Hall is located on the west side of Syracuse University campus.
- Course Syllabi & Textbooks: After you select courses and complete the registration process during orientation, you should be able to access the syllabus for each course by logging in to Blackboard using your NetID and password. Once you are logged in, click on "Organizations" and select “College of Law Student Affairs Community." From the column on the left, select the link to "Course Syllabi." Review each course syllabus before you start classes. The course syllabus will also identify the textbook(s) that you will need to purchase for the course. You may purchase textbooks online or at the bookstore at the Schine Student Center on Main Campus.
- Lockers: Each student will be assigned a locker in Dineen Hall for personal use. You will learn of your locker assignment during orientation. You will need to purchase a combination/key lock to secure your locker.
- Final Details: During orientation and prior to the start of the academic semester, S.J.D. students should work to address any remaining items pertaining to housing, parking, health insurance, etc. (see the complete list above). Feel free to e-mail SJD@law.syr.edu with any questions.