Diversity Week Fall 2021
2021 Diversity Pledge Signing and Breakfast
October 11 | 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. | Hon. Sandra Townes DEI Room
Virtual Connections Speaker Series x First Generation Law Students Association
October 13 | noon - 1 p.m. | Room 340
A Conversation with Sylvia Mendez
October 14 | 11:50 a.m. - 1:20 p.m. | Melanie Gray Ceremonial Courtroom and online via Zoom
A joint program sponsored by the Office of Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity at SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry, Syracuse Law, and the Latin American Law Student Association.
Diversity and Inclusion Committee Candid Conversation with Marty Feinman L'83
October 14 | 2 - 3 p.m. | Location TBD
Diversity of Experience x Corporate Law Society
October 14 | 6 - 8 p.m. | Room 106
Diversity Committee Movie Night and Candid Conversation
October 22 | 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. | Room 340
Americans with Disabilities Act Symposium
Commemorating the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA); the 15th anniversary of the Disability Law and Policy Program; and the Syracuse Law Review ADA Special Volume
Racial Equity Academic Symposium
Presented by the Office of Diversity and Inclusion and the Division of Faculty Affairs in the Office of Academic Affairs, the inaugural Racial Equity Academic Symposium promotes intellectual discourse and scholarship in the aspects of race and equity.
- Poet Nikki Giovanni, University Distinguished Professor, Virginia Tech University
- Poet and artist Keisha-Gaye Anderson ’96
- Eddie S. Glaude Jr., James S. McDonnell Distinguished University Professor and Chair, Department of African American Studies, Princeton University
- Economist Julianne Malveaux, former President, Bennett College for Women.
- Marc Lamont Hill, Host, BET News and Steve Charles Professor of Media, Cities, and Solutions, Temple University
A Virtual Lunchtime Chat with Army JAG Officer LTC Pia Rogers L’01
- Moderated by Professor Beth Kubala and 2L Ryan Marquette
BLSA's Second Annual BHM Ceremony
- Honoring Judge Sandra L. Townes L’76 (1945-2018)
- Keynote: Hon. George Daniels, District Judge, US District Southern District of New York
- Also featuring the Black Excellence Award Presentations
From the Courtroom to The Bachelorette: A Deep Dive Conversation with D. Riley Christian L’16 (click link for video)
Black History Month Celebration: Afro-Latinos in the U.S. and in the Law
- Exploring the cultural history and diversity of Afro-Latinos in the United States and discussing issues impacting Afro-Latinos in the law, government, and public policy.
- Moderator: Candace J. Gomez, Member, Bond, Schoeneck & King
- Speakers: The Hon. Aletha V. Fields, Support Magistrate, Suffolk County Family Court; Julio Guity-Guevara, Managing Director, SUDECC Inc.; Miguel A. Martinez Jr., Director of Government, Regulatory Affairs, and Public Policy, PricewaterhouseCoopers
A Fireside Chat with Brigitte Echols L’93 (click link for video)
- Brigitte Echols L’93 discusses careers and workplace challenges.
Diversity of Thought: Who is a Reasonable Person?
- An American Constitution Society and Federalist Society event creating a space and opportunity for students to speak, listen, and respectfully discuss current issues around civility.