Facebook Twitter YouTube LinkedIn Foursquare

Financial Aid FAQs

Applying for Financial Aid

General Financial Aid Questions

Student Account Information

Loan Deferment and Repayment

What documents do I need to submit to apply for financial aid?

All students must annually file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Prospective students must also submit other requirements that are listed on their “To Do List”.


What is the deadline to apply for financial aid?

The Priority Deadline is February 15th. Prospective students should not wait for an admission decision to apply for financial aid.


I won't have my tax return prepared before the financial aid application deadline. What should I do?

Do not delay submission of your FAFSA beyond the Priority Deadline! Instead, use estimated income and tax information on your FAFSA if your actual tax return has not been filed. Students may log back onto the FAFSA on the Web to make corrections to their processed FAFSA.


What should I do if I missed the deadline?

Financial aid funds from the College of Law are limited and will be awarded until expended. If you miss the Priority Deadline, you should still complete all of the financial aid requirements in order to be considered for all remaining sources of funding and to begin the process to apply for student loans.


What is Syracuse University's code for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?



I don't know my Federal PIN . Can I get a new one?

You must have your Federal PIN available while completing the FAFSA online. If you do not know your PIN, go to www.pin.ed.gov to register for your initial PIN or to retrieve your existing PIN.


Do I need to submit my parents' information on the FAFSA?

No, all law students are defined as "independent" for federal student aid so their parents' information is not needed on the FAFSA.

When will I find out what my financial aid eligibility is?

Merit Scholarship eligibilty will be sent with the notification of admission to the College of Law. Notice of other types of financial aid eligibilty will be sent, via email, beginning mid-March to admitted students who have submitted all of the required financial aid application materials. Syracuse University College of Law has rolling admissions; therefore, financial aid notifications will be sent weekly, throughout the duration of the admission cycle, to newly admitted students who have submitted all of their financial aid application materials.

Returning students are notified of their financial aid eligibility for the upcoming academic year at the conclusion of the spring semester. Financial Aid Award notices will be sent, via email, in late May or early June.


What types of financial aid are available to law students?

The College of Law administers both institutional aid and federal financial aid. Institutional financial aid may be comprised of merit-based scholarships or need-based grants. Federal aid programs include Federal Work Study, and Federal Direct student loans.

I wasn't awarded a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan in my original financial aid notification. Can I apply for a Grad PLUS Loan?

Graduate PLUS Loans are not automatically awarded, however, students who need to borrow educational loans above and beyond the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan may apply for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS loan once they have exhausted other financial aid options and personal resources. Students must be eligible to receive federal student aid and must meet the federally established credit requirements to qualify for a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan.

*Students should not apply for a Federal Graduate PLUS Loan until instructed by the College of Law Financial Aid Office.


What if my credit for the Graduate PLUS Loan is denied?

Students may contact the College of Law Financial Aid Office for advice on how to proceed. In the past, applicants have either applied with a co-borrower (also called an "endorser") and/or they have corrected discrepancies on their credit report.


How do I decline some of the financial aid that has been offered?

Please send an email to the College of Law Financial Aid Office indicating the award(s) and/or loan(s) you wish to decline or reduce. Include your name, SU ID number, the name of the award, and the amount of the award you are declining.


I was offered a scholarship/grant from an outside organization. Do I need to report it?

Students are required to notify the College of Law Financial Aid Office of any outside scholarships they expect to receive. Receipt of other financial aid awards not listed on the Award Letter in MySlice may result in an adjustment to your College of Law aid and/or student loans. Please send an email to the Financial Aid Office if you have been awarded an outside scholarship; include your name, SU ID number, the name of the organization, the name of the scholarship, the amount of the award, and the period it covers (for example, fall only or the entire academic year).


Am I allowed to work while in law school?

Yes, however, the number of hours any full time law student may work is limited by American Bar Association (ABA) guidelines. According to the ABA, full-time law students may not work more than 20 hours per week.


How and when do I apply for loans?

The College of Law Financial Aid Office will review financial aid eligibility, send award notifications to students via email, and instruct eligible loan applicants on how to complete the steps to finalize their student loans. Only matriculated students who have confirmed their plans to enroll should apply for loans. Do not apply before instructed.


May I use financial aid and/or student loans to pay for off-campus housing and other personal educational expenses?

The budgeted cost of attendance includes an allocation for room, board, and other personal educational expenses. Financial aid and student loans will disburse at the beginning of each semester and will first pay for the charges on the student's bursar account. Students who have a credit balance on their student bursar account may request a refund from the Bursar's Office to pay for their housing or other personal educational expenses.


When can I expect my refund from the Bursar's Office?

Once financial aid and/or educational loans have disbursed, students who have a credit balance on their student bursar account may request a refund from the Bursar's Office. Refund requests may be made online via the MySlice portal, via email to the Bursar, or in-person in the Bursar's Office. This process typically takes 5-7 business days.


When will I receive a bill?

The Bursar's Office pre-bills law students approximately 6 - 8 weeks before each semester, with a payment due date approximately 4 weeks before the first day of classes. You are required to meet your financial obligations to Syracuse University each semester by the payment deadline. If you have questions, contact the Bursar's Office at bursar@syr.edu or call 315-443-2444.


What is a "health fee?" Is it health insurance?

The Health Fee is a mandatory fee for full time law students. Payment of the fee entitles students to office visits at Health Services and at the Counseling Center, SU ambulance services, and medical-transport services during the semester for which the fee was paid. The Health Fee is not insurance; it does not cover charges for pharmacy, laboratory services, x-ray, and certain clinical procedures or services provided by other institutions or agencies.


When will my student loans disburse?

Once loans have been awarded and certified by the College of Law Financial Aid Office, student bursar accounts will reflect the anticipated amount of the loans that are scheduled to disburse. Loans will be disbursed just prior to the first day of classes. Early disbursements are not allowed, so please plan accordingly. All loans are multiply disbursed; half of the loan amount, minus applicable fees, will be disbursed at the beginning of the fall semester and half, minus fees, for the spring semester.


Can I receive financial aid in the summer?

Federal loans may be available to continuing law students who plan to enroll in classes during the summer. Students must be enrolled at least half time (4 credits minimum for the summer), have a valid FAFSA on file, and have a valid promissory notes to apply for federal student loans. Summer loans can cover tuition and related educational/personal expenses for the period in which the student is enrolled in summer classes.


I was accepted into a joint degree program. What will that cost?

Joint-degree students are always charged at the law rate, not the graduate student rate, regardless of the courses in which the student enrolls and regardless of whether the courses are taken during the summer or the academic year.

During the academic year (fall/spring) full-time law students may enroll in 12 to 19 credits and will be charged the full-time rate of tuition (full-time law students who register for courses in excess of 19 credits are charged the applicable per-credit rate for each additional credit).

If joint degree courses are taken during the summer, students are charged a per-credit Law tuition rate during the summer enrollment period. Summer tuition charges will be calculated based upon the number of credits for which a student registers multiplied by the applicable per-credit law rate of tuition.


Can I defer my prior undergraduate loan payments while I'm in law school?

Most federal student loans qualify for an "In-school deferment" during periods in which matriculated students are at least half time. Borrowers must always check with their loan servicer to ensure their enrollment status is correctly recorded and should continue to make payments until the servicer acknowledges and approves the In-School Deferment. Syracuse University will report enrollment status to a national Clearinghouse; therefore, most borrowers do not need to complete additional paperwork to request In-School Deferment from their loan servicer.


I understand my unsubsidized loans and Graduate PLUS loans accrue interest while I'm school. Should I pay it while I'm in school or defer it until I graduate?

Payments can be deferred, or borrowers may elect to make interest-only or full payments throughout their enrollment. If you can afford to make payments while in school, your debt will be smaller when you graduate. For example, a $15,000 Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan will accrue around $3,500 in interest over the 3 year period when the student is enrolled. In this example, a borrower who pays the $3,500 in interest while in school will save almost $1,600 over the life of the loan (assuming the borrower makes standard payments over a 10 year period).


I would like to pay my loans off early, are there any pre-payment penalties?

There are no penalties for partial or complete pre-payment of federal student loans. The total cost of the loan will be smaller if a borrower takes less time to repay their student loans.


I need proof of enrollment for insurance purposes, how can I receive that?

Proof of enrollment can be given on the first day of classes, no earlier. Please contact the Office of Student Life at 315.443.1146 to make your request.


I would like to meet with a financial aid counselor, what are the business hours and how can I set up an appointment?

Please contact the College of Law Financial Aid Office at 315.443.1963 or send an email to request a meeting. We are happy to meet with students during our regular business hours (Academic Year Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm. Summer Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 4:30pm).


Who is servicing my loans?

Go to NSLDS to find out who is servicing your loans.


What is the contact information for my servicer?

For a complete list of Loan Servicing Centers, click here.