- Academic Support
- Student Activities
- Pro Bono Program
- Law Review
- Syracuse Journal of International Law and Commerce
- Syracuse Journal of Science and Technology Law
- Impunity Watch
- Wellness Initiatives
- Diversity at SU
- Per Curiam
- Meet the Staff
- Honorary Societies
- Intranet Logon
- Helpful Links
- Spring Break in South Africa
Moot Court Honor Society
Moot Court Honorary Society
The Moot Court Honor Society rewards and strengthens appellate and trial oral advocacy and writing skills. Members compete in the Grossman Trial Competition and MacKenzie Appellate Competition on campus, and in appellate and trial teams across the nation and in Europe. The Moot Court program at Syracuse is among the nation's strongest and enjoys a well-deserved reputation for excellence in appellate and trial advocacy.
Membership in the Moot Court Honor Society is determined by a two-part competition held in the spring semester. Applicants submit a brief, which accounts for 40% of their score, and present an oral argument to a panel of judges, which accounts for 60% of their score. More than 100 first-year students compete for 32 spots, with new members notified at the end of the spring semester. Members are required to enroll in Evidence and Appellate Advocacy courses in the fall semeter and Trial Practice in the spring semester of their second year.
Moot Court Honor Society sponsors various other teams, each with their own membership requirements, including:
- American Association for Justice Competition Team
- Buffalo Niagara Competition Trial Team
- 1L Competition
- Jessup International Law Competition Team
- National Appellate Advocacy Competition Team
- National Civil Trial Competition Team
- Nationl Trial Competition Team
- Tournament of Champions Competition Team
Note: There are other trial and appellate teams that fall outside the realm of the Moot Court Honor Society. If you would like more information regarding these teams, please see the Office of Student Life.
Additional information about Moot Court may be found on our website here.