If you are interested in obtaining legal assistance from our office, please review our intake guide and contact information.
The Criminal Defense Clinic (CDC) is the oldest of our in-house clinics. It provides representation to clients charged with misdemeanors and violations in Syracuse City Court and town courts in Onondaga County. Clients are represented at pretrial hearings and trials, and on civil matters related to their criminal cases, such as school disciplinary hearings and benefits issues. All criminal cases are assigned to the Clinic through the court.
Students Can Expect
The CDC offers students the opportunity to learn about New York State Penal Law and New York State Criminal Procedure Law, as well as a holistic approach to criminal defense practice.
Students Learn To:
- Negotiate plea agreements, argue motions to dismiss, participate in pretrial conferences and hearings
- Conduct legal research and analysis
- Conduct fact investigations, and interview witnesses
- Draft discovery demands and motions
- Engage in critical analysis of the criminal justice system and potential reforms
Credits & Requirements
- 1 semester clinic
- 6 credits
- 20-25 hours per week time requirement
- Requirements: Professional Responsibility, Evidence (suggested), and Constitutional Criminal Procedure (suggested)
Director, Criminal Defense Clinic